Busabout is committed to ensuring passengers with disabilities have accessible services to meet their needs. It is our intention to ensure this action plan meets our obligations under:
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Cth);
- Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport 2002 (Cth);
- Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW);
- Disability Services Act 1993 (NSW); and
- Guidelines for Disability Action Planning by NSW Government Agencies (2008).
At present, our accessible services are operated by low-floor, wheelchair accessible buses, Monday to Sunday and Public Holidays. However, if a passenger with a disability advises Busabout on their requirements for a wheelchair accessible bus, to be allocated to a non-wheelchair accessible service, Busabout would make every effort to assist and aid this passenger, after considering:
- That it is not a definite change;
- If there are no other wheelchair accessible services available close to this required time; and
- If the passenger has given the company sufficient time to enable a change of fleet.
To assist passengers in planning ahead, timetable information regarding these services are available on our website and indicated in our printed timetables. Our online timetables have a zoom function to enable our visually impaired customers to view them in a larger format. Our website also contains links to the TTY Teletypewriter service for hearing impaired passengers, and to the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) for non-English speaking customers.
The company has implemented many actions to improve access to our services, including:
Complaints procedures are nominated in our Passenger Relations Plan and Customer Service Charter available on our website. The website also provides a link to www.transportnsw.info.
Our bus drivers are provided with customer service training on how to assist passengers with disabilities. They are also given training on how to use the disability aids on our accessible buses. All staff will receive additional customer service refresher training annually.
It is our intention to consult with disability community groups to obtain information to assist us with improving future strategies.
Customers have a few options to obtain timetable information or leave feedback, these include:
- contacting the Transport Information Line on 131500 or visit their website at transportnsw.info,
- contact us via our website busabout.com.au, by calling our depot on 02 4631 4200, or emailing us at .
Busabout will review and evaluate this plan when required, with respect to changes in legislation or operations and/or at least annually; to ensure that passengers with disabilities can avail themselves of our services, to travel in comfort and safety.